Dear grade four families,
|Coming Up & Due Dates…|
- Report Card #1 (go home) – Nov 27
- PLF #5 (NO SCHOOL) – Dec 4
|Parent Info. & Thank You|
Report Cards for Term 1 go home Nov 27. Please message me if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks!
Students are continuing Unit 2: Whole Numbers this week. In this unit we will be exploring & learning:
- Lesson 1 Whole Numbers to 10 000
- Lesson 2 Comparing and Ordering Numbers
- Lesson 3 Sorting Numbers
- Lesson 4 Estimating Sums
- Lesson 5 Using Mental Math to Add
- Lesson 6 Adding 3-Digit Numbers
- Lesson 7 Adding 4-Digit Numbers
- Lesson 8 Estimating Differences
- Lesson 9 Using Mental Math to Subtract
- Lesson 10 Subtracting 3-Digit Numbers
- Lesson 12 Subtracting 4-Digit Numbers
- Lesson 13 Solving Addition and Subtraction Problems
(The lessons in bold are the ones we are working through this week.)
Please have your children practice these concepts on the assignments i’ve assigned them on Mathletics. They should be going onto Mathletics about 3x a week for 15-20 minutes a session.
They can also practice these concepts on:
- Writing: This week we will spend 30 minutes a day continuing our research about various countries in our “Christmas (and Other Holidays) Around The World Paper Bag Book“. This week we are exploring: America, Africa, Sweden & China!
- Grammar: Constantly focusing on punctuation, complete sentences, nouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives, and past, present, and future tense.
- Spelling: Students are working on spelling and building their vocabulary with the Words Their Way Program. Students will be tested on their words at the end of every week, receiving new words on the following Monday.
- There word sorts for the week are all posted on google classroom for you. Some students will also be bringing home their words every monday for you to study together at home.
- Reading Comprehension: Our reading comprehension until Winter Break is tied to our research project “Christmas (and Other Holidays) Around The World Paper Bag Book“. Everyday students have to read a large informational text about that countries’ Christmas traditions. Pink and Purple group have support from the teacher when reading these texts.
- Reading Practice: End of day reading: D.E.A.R (Drop Everything And Read)
Students are beginning to learn about “A Sense of the Land: Alberta“. They will be able to:
- Critically examine physical geography – This week we are studying Alberta’s physical geography by painting our salt dough replicas of Alberta!
- Reflect on issues/questions relating to geography – This will be discussed and talked about whilst the Alberta Salt Dough construction is completed this week.
- Valuing physical geography & natural environment of Alberta’s 6 regions
- Alberta’s 6 Natural Regions (Foothills, Canadian Shield, Rocky Mountains, Parkland, Grassland, and Boreal Forest) Brochure
- Test! Students will be tested on their knowledge of the physical geography of Alberta in a mini quiz which will happen TBA.
Check out the videos below to have a discussion with your family about landforms and Alberta’s 6 regions!
Students are currently working on the Waste and Our World Unit.
This week students will be continuing to explore composting and creating an informational poster (in partners) for the students of WGH to explain to them what composting is, what items can and cannot be composted, the steps to creating your very own compost at home, the advantages and disadvantages of composting and the problems that can occur with compost.
Check out the videos below to have a family discussion about compost!
In health we are focusing on wellness choices until Christmas. We want students to learn to display safe and responsible behaviours in their daily lives to manage risks and prevent injuries. Three topics we will be focusing on in this unit:
- Lesson 1: Food choices & healthy eating: We are continuing with this currently, learning about all the different food groups, how to measure a proper serving for various food groups, and how many servings per food groups is required for a growing child ages 8-12.
- Lesson 2: Proper attire for winter months: We will be exploring this topic through art this week where students will be drawing a responsible winter attire self portrait and writing about proper winter attire for our extreme weather here in Fort McMurray. This responsible attire education will be turned into posters and posted around the school to help other students learn how to dress and how not to dress in the winter months.
- Lesson 3: Proper play on the playground at school (safety and responsibility) for winter months and in their daily lives
|Leader in Me|
We have begun Habit #3 – Put First Things First!
In Habit #3 – Put First Things First, this is what we will be learning & focusing on:
- Prioritize – Leaders learn to prioritize and do the most important things first.
- Say No to Less Important Things – Saying no to less important things gives you time to focus on the important things in your life and what really matters.
- Roles & Goals – You play many roles – son or daughter, student, team member, friend, sibling, class leader, and more! With each role you have important things to do! Use your skills of prioritizing and saying no to less important things to help you thrive in each of your roles.
- Organization – Organized leaders are efficient; they are able to do more with their same amount of time.
Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. You can send me a message on Remind or send me an e-mail.
I can’t believe it is the end of November already, time is really flying! In a blink of an eye it’ll be winter break!