Dear grade four families,
|Coming Up & Due Dates…|
- School Spirit Week – Dec 14-17
- PLF #5 (NO SCHOOL) – Dec 18
|Parent Info. & Thank You|
Please remember to fill out the google form that was sent over remind if your child & family needs technology to support their elearning for the first week of January. The school needs that data ahead of time to properly organize tech to be lent out.
Thank you for everything you have done to support your child in their learning over the past 4 months. Only four more days till a much deserved break!
Students will be tested on their knowledge of Unit 2: Whole Numbers this week. They will be tested on the following concepts:
- Lesson 1 Whole Numbers to 10 000
- Lesson 2 Comparing and Ordering Numbers
- Lesson 3 Sorting Numbers
- Lesson 4 Estimating Sums
- Lesson 5 Using Mental Math to Add
- Lesson 6 Adding 3-Digit Numbers
- Lesson 7 Adding 4-Digit Numbers
- Lesson 8 Estimating Differences
- Lesson 9 Using Mental Math to Subtract
- Lesson 10 Subtracting 3-Digit Numbers
- Lesson 12 Subtracting 4-Digit Numbers
- Lesson 13 Solving Addition and Subtraction Problems
- Addition & Subtraction Word Problems
Please have your children complete the assignments i’ve assigned them on Mathletics. They should be going onto Mathletics about 3x a week for 15-20 minutes a session.
They can also practice these concepts on:
- Writing: This week we will finish our research about various countries in our “Christmas (and Other Holidays) Around The World Paper Bag Book“.
- Grammar: Constantly focusing on punctuation, complete sentences, nouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives, and past, present, and future tense.
- Spelling: Students are working on spelling and building their vocabulary with the Words Their Way Program. Students will be tested on their words at the end of every week, receiving new words on the following Monday.
- There word sorts for the week are all posted on google classroom for you. Some students will also be bringing home their words every monday for you to study together at home.
- This week we will be doing another placement test to place them in new groups for January.
- Reading Comprehension: Our reading comprehension until Winter Break is tied to our research project “Christmas (and Other Holidays) Around The World Paper Bag Book“. Everyday students have to read a large informational text about that countries’ Christmas traditions. Pink and Purple group have support from the teacher when reading these texts.
- Reading Practice: End of day reading: D.E.A.R (Drop Everything And Read)
Students are learning about “A Sense of the Land: Alberta“. This week they are:
- This week we will finish our salt dough dinosaur fossils & topographical map of Alberta to prep for our Alberta/Drumheller/Badlands Unit in January.
Students are currently working on the Waste and Our World Unit.
This week students will be:
- Comparing the advantages and disadvantages of recycling.
- Understanding landfills.
- Students will complete a test of their knowledge about this unit this week.
|Leader in Me|
We have begun Habit #3 – Put First Things First!
In Habit #3 – Put First Things First, this is what we will be learning & focusing on:
- Prioritize – Leaders learn to prioritize and do the most important things first.
- Say No to Less Important Things – Saying no to less important things gives you time to focus on the important things in your life and what really matters.
- Roles & Goals – You play many roles – son or daughter, student, team member, friend, sibling, class leader, and more! With each role you have important things to do! Use your skills of prioritizing and saying no to less important things to help you thrive in each of your roles.
- Organization – Organized leaders are efficient; they are able to do more with their same amount of time.
(The topics in bold will be what we are practicing this week.)
Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. You can send me a message on Remind or send me an e-mail.
I can’t believe we only have four days until winter break!