Ms. Guilbeau’s Class
Dear grade four families,
|Coming Up & Due Dates…|
- Terry Fox Run – Monday Sept 28
- Orange Shirt Day – Sept 30 (please participate by wearing orange)
- Photo Day – CANCELLED (OCT 1)
- PLF #3 NO SCHOOL – Oct 2
- Thanksgiving Monday NO SCHOOL – Oct 2
- ATA Institute Day NO SCHOOL – Oct 30
- Thank you parents for all your hard work at home learning with your child when they are off of school due to isolation or when they are sick. It is very important that they keep up with their learning as we are still trying to address the learning gaps from March to June of 2020. Starting next week you will be emailed your child’s log on to Google Classroom/Gmail so you can keep up with their learning through that online platform instead of me emailing the zipped files to you every Monday.
- So far progress among the class has been steady and consistent and our independent focus is already much better than it was only a few weeks ago! Very well done students!
Students are learning Unit 1: Patterns and Equations
Students must keep practicing their addition and subtraction facts. If they are doing extra learning at home after school, that is a top priority to focus on as we need to be able to do quick mental math for our next math units.
- 9 + 9 (all addition facts up to 9 + 9)
- 18 – 9 (all subtraction facts related to addition facts)
- Here are some websites to help practice fact fluency.
- Journalling: We journal 30-45 minutes every morning with a topic topic each day. Make Believe Monday, Top Ten Tuesday, Words of Wisdom Wednesday, My Thoughts Thursday, and Flashback Friday. At the end of journaling time, I choose 3-6 students at random (rotating who is chosen) to present what they wrote to the class.
- Grammar: Focus on punctuation, complete sentences, nouns, verbs, and adverbs.
- Spelling: Students are working on spelling and building their vocabulary with the Words Their Way Program. Students will be tested on their words at the end of every week, receiving new words on the following Monday.
- If you are confused about how to practice the Words Their Way Program with your child (if you are doing home learning, at sometime during the year), watch these helpful videos below.
- Words Their Way Video #1
- Words Their Way Video #2
- Reading: I am currently testing students on their reading. So far all students have maintained the same reading level as last year.
- Reading Comprehension: This week we have been working on a story called “Finders Keepers”. Every day they complete 4 response questions about the text either as a class (Monday), in partners (Tuesday & Wednesday), independently (Thursday), and tested on Friday.
- Students are currently working on mapping & understanding the map of Canada, a globe, a compass, longitude & latitude, and coordinates.
- Students are currently working on Waste and Our World. We are learning about the 3 R’s, reduce, reuse, and recycle! They are very passionate about this topic.
|Leader in Me|
- Our focus for September is courage, kindness, and Habit #1 – Being Proactive.
Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. You can send me a message on Remind or send an e-mail to email@example.com.
I can’t believe we are almost in October already, this is so exciting! Big things are coming up!